To celebrate the end of the year and highlight some of the best (and worst) food-related happenings of 2015, we’ve put together a little quiz! Test your knowledge below!
1. What was the #1 best selling food product in the world in 2015?
A. KRAFT Macaroni & Cheese
B. General Mills Honey Nut Cheerios
C. Franz Bakery Homestyle Split Top White Bread
D. DiGiorno Original Rising Crust Four Cheese Pizza
2. How much was invested in food delivery services (think Munchery, Blue Apron, Postmates) this year?
A. $90 million
B. $380 million
C. $750 million
D. $1.5 billion
3. Which of the following animal welfare advancements did NOT occur this year?
A. McDonald’s pledged to source chickens raised without antibiotics
B. Costco made the switch to to cage-free eggs
C. JBS (Brazilian pork producer) agreed to phase out use of gestation crates
D. StarKist implemented an anti-shark finning policy
4. The sales of foods marketed as “local” surged to what number this year?
A. $800 million
B. $6 billion
C. $11 billion
D. $32 billion
5. Which of the following plans did General Mills announce this year?
A. They will soon offer all employees meditation sessions, yoga classes, and mindfulness programs
B. They will be launching a line of affordable pet food products
C. They will be partnering with AmazonFresh to offer more extensive online purchasing and delivery services
D. They will be removing all artificial colors and flavors from their products
6. After Allrecipes.com, which recipe website was the most popular in 2015?
A. Food Network
C. The Kitchn
7. The typical American family threw away this amount of money in groceries this year.
8. What was the best-selling cookbook of 2015?
A. The Whole30: The 30-Day Guide to Total Health and Food Freedom, by Melissa Hartwig
B. The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Dinnertime, by
C. Thug Kitchen: Eat Like You Give a F*ck, by Matt Holloway and Michelle Davis
D. The Food Lab: Better Home Cooking Through Science, by
9. Which major restaurant chain was linked to an E. coli outbreak that affected over 50 people?
10. How much venture capital was poured into food startups in the first half of 2015?
A. $121 million
B. $300 million
C. $1.18 billion
D. $2.06 billion
11. KRAFT announced their plans to swap the artificial orange coloring in their iconic Macaroni & Cheese for which naturally derived ingredients?
A. Dehydrated sharp cheddar cheese
B. Paprika and Turmeric
C. Red and yellow beet powder
C. No way…KRAFT will never change their classic recipe
12. What’s the name of the Facebook recipe app that took the online recipe publishing world by storm this year?
C. Kitchen Monki
All set? When you’re ready, scroll down to reveal the answers!
1. A. KRAFT Macaroni & Cheese was the #1 best selling food product in the world in 2015, generated more than $555,897,000.
2. D. $1.5 billion was invested in food delivery services in 2015!
3. D. StarKist DID NOT implement an anti-shark finning policy this year.
4. C. $11 billion: The total sales of foods marketed as “local” this year.
5. D. General Mills will be removing all artificial colors and flavors from their products
6. A. Food Network was the most popular recipe website after Allrecipes.com in 2015.
7. B. $1600: The amount of money in groceries the typical American family threw away this year.
8. A. The Whole30: The 30-Day Guide to Total Health and Food Freedom, by Melissa Hartwig was the best-selling cookbook of 2015.
9. B. Chipotle was linked to an E. coli outbreak that affected over 50 people this year.
10. D. $2.06 billion in venture capital was poured into food startups in the first half of 2015!
11. B. Paprika and Turmeric: The naturally derived ingredients KRAFT plans to swap in for the artificial orange coloring in their iconic Macaroni & Cheese
12. D. Cookpanion: The name of the Facebook recipe app that took the online recipe publishing world by storm this year. You guys should all know this one ;).
Now look at all the fun facts I’ve armed you with for your New Years Eve party! But in all seriousness, cheers to all of you, and thank you for making this a terrific year for Cookpanion! Happy 2016!
Sources: http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/12/29/460589462/the-year-in-food-artificial-out-innovation-in-and-2-more-trends, http://top101news.com/2015-2016-2017-2018/news/foods/best-selling-food-products-world-usa/, https://www.yahoo.com/food/the-year-in-food-what-was-hot-and-tasty-in-2015-151910214.html